Tree Island is one of North America’s largest producers of steel wire and fabricated steel wire products. Their line of wire products includes high and low carbon, galvanized, bright and stainless steel wires. These products are sold in either spooled or straight & cut sections to a variety of customers for further downstream fabrication, or for end-use applications such as bailing, strapping and fencing. The company also offers many finished wire-based products including a broad array of fasteners (packaged, collated and bulk nails), stucco reinforcing products, concrete reinforcing mesh, fencing and other fabricated wire products. Their products are made from wire rod sourced from a variety of producers around the world.
A significant portion of Tree Island’s products are used by three different areas of the construction industry: residential construction, residential renovation and heavy construction, which experience different demand cycles. They also serve industrial manufacturers and commercial fabricators, as well as the agricultural and forestry industries. A significant portion of their products are sold to distributors, including wholesale distributors of building products, baling wire and fencing products.
The Design Engineer is responsible for the design of proprietary machinery, equipment, patented products and processes. Creates confidential plant layouts related to strategic projects and acquisitions. The work will be highly confidential and sensitive in nature.
- Conduct research and produce engineering drawings relating to the feasibility, design, operation and performance of prospective, current, or proprietary property, plant or equipment.
- Creates plant layouts for Canada and USA plants.
- Works with Corporate Development on strategic projects and to provide engineering support for evaluation of machinery and equipment, working with potential vendors and external consultant, preparing RFQs related to mergers/acquisitions.
- Engineering support for evaluation of machinery and equipment related to new or improved products, processes and equipment.
- Design specifications for new business This include specifications for new product design and features, production processes, QA plan to ensure successful introduction of new businesses.
- Develop and manage a preventative maintenance program to ensure asset longevity
- Develops Capital Appropriation Requests (CAR) and presents to Senior Management for approval by planning and managing projects, and preparing material, cost and timing estimates, and design specifications for machinery and systems.
- Prepare and interpret conventional and computer-assisted design (CAD) engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for machines and components.
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, and design specifications for machinery and systems.
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems.
- Considers performance, safety, patents, goals, and regulatory requirements when designing products or systems.
- Researches and analyzes data to determine feasibility of design effort.
- Develops solutions to particular business problems by analyzing and collating as much relevant data as possible and presenting their findings to management.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, preferably in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial. Professional Engineering Designation preferred.
- 3 - 5 years experience in Mechanical Design, process engineering or maintenance management.
- High degree of competence with CAD packages, preferably working knowledge of AutoCAD, Experience with AutoCAD would be desirable.
- Proven ability in keeping sensitive information and/or projects confidential.
- Must have proven abilities in project management.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy, excellent product quality and attention to detail.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multi-task work activities.
- Exhibits a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communicating skills as appropriate for the needs of varied audiences.
- Aptitude for developing, streamlining and implementing work processes/procedures.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Previous experience in manufacturing and steel would be desired.
- Lean Manufacturing experience is an asset.
- This position may require some domestic travel.
- Six Sigma Green Belt is an asset.